Speedy Cherry Tomato Pasta Sauce
Try this mouth-watering chunky homemade cherry tomato sauce. Perfect for pasta’s, rice, quinoa or even as a pizza sauce, so quick and easy to make and full of flavour.
- 4 Cups of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper.
- 1/4 teaspoon (optional but not necessary)
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces.
IF SERVING WITH PASTA
- 12-16 ounces fusilli, rotini, penne, or other short spiral or tubular pasta, cooked according to package directions (reserve a cup of pasta cooking water; see notes)
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese (if desired)
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute or until fragrant but not turning brown.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar. As the tomatoes cook and soften, mash them with a fork to help them form a chunky, rustic sauce. Cook the tomatoes for approximately 5-6 minutes total.
- Sprinkle with torn basil before serving.
- If serving with pasta, transfer the tomato sauce to a bowl with the pasta, and toss to combine.
Stir in some mozzarella and add the reserved pasta water, 1/4 cup at a time, until the pasta is moist. Garnish with additional basil, if desired.