Salmon, Sweet Potato and Broccoli Chowder
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small broccoli stalk, cut into pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- In a large, heavy saucepan, over medium heat, cook the onion in the butter until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until smooth. Whisk in the broth and milk, then add the sweet potato, bay leaf, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the salmon and broccoli and simmer until the salmon is cooked through and the broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes more.